Wednesday, May 24, 2006

one more thing...even though I think it will post this below the first post for today

Has anyone noticed how the conservative machine makes up things to upset the American people when they want to take attention off their inability to lead the nation? Am I the only one who sees this? I mean, c'mon people! You were blinded during the presidential election by talk of gay marriage. Gay marriage. In the grand scheme of things - with men dying everyday, corruption in big business at its worst, global warming a real threat, and the government spying on normal everyday people - who cares? Really.

Anyway, people - have you noticed that when the approval ratings started dropping the conservative machine started making a big deal out of immigration? This was not coincidence - it was a carefully planned event - they must have this sitting on the back burner for awhile waiting to use it at the most opportune time. Immigration has been a problem for years, but suddenly - just when attention needs to be taken away from low ratings due to an impossible war - this is *the* most important item in the country? It is? Really? Because I thought that the government spying on my phone calls was important - more important than whether or not the guys at my favorite Mexican restaurant (love their hearts, they're such good guys) are illegal. If you ask me, the fact that we're suddenly finding out that this administration thinks it's above the law - that they have the right to prosecute journalists for breaking stories - that they are spying on me and my fellow Americans - and no one is doing anything about it (including the Justice dept) is the most important topic in this country right now. Even more important than the war.

The naive say, "It doesn't matter - I'm not doing anything wrong - let them get my phone records." But the naive don't understand that it's just the first step towards the end of democracy. I believe the KGB listened in on phone calls, didn't they? If we allow these freedoms to be taken away, the next evil leader will come along and take another, and then another...until we have none left. Our system of checks and balances doesn't seem to be working right now, so yes - I have little faith for what's in store for the country.

Sorry this is not very eloquent - I'm just in a rush....this has been on my mind for awhile and I'm just now thinking to say anything about it on here.

Am I the only person in America upset about this?

No comments: