Sunday, May 14, 2006

Wrote this on last Sunday's drive home but just now have time to post it....

What a good weekend!

We officially have two more friends that are married. K&B said their vows yesterday evening at 6PM on the shoreline of the Gulf of Mexico. It turned out to be a wonderful evening for the wedding – there was a bit of drama earlier in the day as K had to decide where to have the chairs set up knowing that there was a 60% chance of rain. But the rain held off and K got her beach wedding! Yea!

I must say that this wedding ran like a well oiled machine. K thought of everything – she put so much time and effort into the planning of this thing, and she and B took care of their guests. This is how great she took care of us – on her wedding day she cooked a brunch for all of the women. Can you believe that? And she did it without rushing around like a chicken with its head cut off (like I would have been). So, I must take note of the way K had everything under control….I was so impressed.

It was a slow start for us – we were going to try to leave on Thursday so that we could wake up in the beach house on Friday and help if need be. But my sickness did not cooperate (along with hair and nail plans) and we decided to leave on Friday instead. Unfortunately, I woke up feeling more miserable than I had been and we decided to hit the dr before we headed out. Ben was actually saying that he didn’t think we should go at all bec I looked so horrible, but I was determined to go no matter how bad I felt. We finally got out of Chatty at about 12:45 and Ben got us down to Seaside in 6 hours – this is no small feat. We arrived to a rehearsal dinner cooked by K’s dad – from here on out known as “daddy”. Daddy has cooked for us before. He is from Iran and he cooks the most wonderful non greasy foods in the world. His specialty (at least in my opinion) is this rice dish – I’m not sure what seasons the rice, but on the bottom of the pot he puts potatoes which come out so crispy like my mom’s fried potatoes, only no grease so they are not greasy. Oh my gosh – they are the yummiest potatoes in the world! I love them. Anyway, on Fri eve he also made some sort of chicken dish with apricots and raisins in it and I’m not even sure what else. He made his famous spicy shrimp for an appetizer and baklava for dessert. All I can say is that it was delicious as usual and we were so grateful to him for putting on such a huge production –he’s the father of the bride! He deserved to have everything cooked for him! But like father like daughter, I guess since the next day K was cooking for us…

K&B had rented 5 beach houses. We stayed in one of the two large ones that were right next to each other and intended for friends of the bride and groom. We were right on the beach, and also had a pool, and this is where Friday night dinner was served. So everyone stayed around afterwards and thankfully I had slept for most of the drive that day bec we stayed up late playing a wonderful little role playing game called Werewolf. One of B’s friends introduced us to it and we had a blast. I think the general sentiment at first was “A role playing game…uh…I don’t really want to do that.” But in the end it was quite fun and I have a feeling Werewolf will make its way back to Chattanooga.

Finally, we slept! And on Sat. morning, we women went over to K & B’s beachhouse for the brunch. They were located away from us, right across from the pavilion where the wedding was to take place. This house was super cute. It had covered decks surrounding it – and we even brunched out on one of them. K thought of everything! Down to the mimosas and the super cute tableware. No detail was overlooked.

The boys were on their own back at the rest of the beach houses and were supposed to be having ribs during our brunch. But boys just don’t seem to have it together as well as girls – K in particular – and didn’t get to eat until 3 or so. I bet K could have organized our brunch and their lunch and had them both pulled off before 3! J

So, then we hung out by the pool with David and a very cute & pregnant Stephanie until it was time for the wedding. The morning’s rain worries were forgotten as we watched K&B marry in front of the ocean. They were so happy. We then moved to a room in one of the buildings somewhere in the town for dinner. K&B danced to “I Love You Just the Way You Are” which was super sweet.

Anyway, a synopsis of my favorite moments of the weekend:
By the pool, Stephanie asking B if he was worried that K would bail on him and him replying that “Yeah, it has crossed my mind…I mean, she’s lost all this weight for the wedding - she’s so hot! And look at me…” hehe.

Brye’s dad starting his speech before dinner with, “Becky will cry and then I will too,” before proceeding to croak out the rest of speech through tearful pauses. It was very sweet.

Avi – B’s cousin - telling B’s dad that they – that is to say Avi and B’s dad – had done it – they had done a wonderful job in raising B. Hehe.

Avi and Tyler’s wonderful air rock band – Avi on drums and Tyler on guitar – and then switching instruments mid song.

As Werewolf trying to keep a low profile and then emcee B saying, “I need for the werewolf to open her eyes.” Thanks, B! They lynched me immediately after!

Ben’s video-ing everyone on the dance floor. I can’t wait to watch the footage.

K and Hayley and Big Al telling college day stories during the brunch – yuck! What a nasty room they must have had.

I know it’s old school now, but BA putting “Hey Ya” on and EVERYONE dancin’. Avi’s got some good moves.

Pregnant and cute Stephanie in her adorable light green maternity dress yelling at David, “You dumba$$!” when he backed into the pole on the way to the wedding.

David continuing to bring up the topic afterwards even though the rest of us were trying to avoid it.

K&B singing the lyrics to “Just the way you are” to one another.

Everyone double fistin’ whatever it was they were drinking bec the bartender was a bit psycho about gettin’ us hammered.

Seeing BA and another girl in the same bright green Anthropologie floor length dress. That was a bit strange – I mean, who would think that two people out of 30 would show up in the same dress – and from Anthropologie at that – to K’s wedding? But they both handled it so gracefully.

Daddy telling me about the wonderful 35 years he had with K’s mom. I hope I have love like that for the rest of my life.

Forcing Ben to throw his red wine on the roof of the white tent below us bec I told him he was a girl if he didn’t.

Kiki and Stephanie talking about breast feeding during dinner and David’s face turning redder and redder.

B’s tshirt that he wore before the wedding – orange of course! – with “Would you marry a man who” on the back of it. A few of those that I remember: feeling comfortable enough to tell a priest that the wedding was f***ing beautiful”, carrying around a pitcher of his own vomit, & and peeing on his passed out friend. I’m sure those were some really good times. At the bottom it said, “K would.”

David diving into the pool, walking to the shallow end and Ben ratting him out. Hehe. We all knew what you were doing, Dave.

And finally…
The look on B’s face when K joined him at the altar. What a great smile that was. That was pure love.

Thanks guys for allowing us to be a part of such a wonderful event in your lives. We’ve always known what a wonderful host and hostess you guys are, but you really blew yourselves away this time. It was amazing to see two people that love each other as much as you guys do getting married. We love you both.

No comments: