Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I haven't done this in a few days, have I?

I've been busy, and well I guess there's not much to report anyway. I have my last presentation for that one class tonight, and then for the rest of the semester I can just focus on the other class. That's a good feeling.

I found out yesterday that I have high cholesterol. Very high. It doesn't seem fair bec of all of the exercise I do and bec I actually eat pretty well for the most part. Pure genetics...gotta love heredity, don't ya? Apparently, though, my "good" cholesterol is really high - so it helps to counter the "bad" cholesterol - I'm learning here, guys...I didn't know these things until yesterday...so if this sounds rudimentary, please forgive me. The guy said if I didn't run as much as I do, my cholesterol would probably be over 300! Crazy. Must never stop running.

Things like this make me realize how old I really am. I feel so girly and young, but at the same time I know that I have to start thinking about cholesterol levels and high blood pressure and other medical undesirables.

It has me wondering...does all of this exercising and eating pretty healthy really do me any good? Or am I just doomed to a life filled with heart disease bec it trickles down through both branches of my family regardless of what I do or eat? (And, if I keep running, am I doomed to a life of heart attacks AND knee troubles?) And lastly, is it irresponsible to have children knowing that you're passing on horrible genes fraught with disease?

Someone I know is going through chemo right now, and I feel so terribly about it all. I found myself thinking this morning that I'm happier knowing cancer doesn't generally run in my family...the only thing we have to worry about is heart disease. Cancer is a whole lot scarier, isn't it? It could just show up...any random day...any random moment...in any random location. At least with heart disease you have indicators - not to mention the medicines that can help prevent further heart troubles. Yes, I do think that cancer is much scarier and even if my cholesterol is high, it could be worse...at least it's not an indicator of cancer.

On a brighter note, I think I'm going to buy that Ann Taylor dress this week...the colors are a little more mellow than I usually like, but it hasn't gone out of my head, so I must be meant to buy it. :-) I know it sounds superficial to switch gears like that, but I just can't end on such a sobering note....

No comments: