Friday, March 10, 2006

This is why dreams can be such dangerous things...

...they smolder on like a fire does, and sometimes consume us completely.

I like that line...it's from Memoirs. There was another one...a funny one, but I can't seem to find it.

Ummm....I had some crazy dreams last night. First I dreamt that I was in a house and my mom was there, and some aunts, too, I think. And my dad and uncle were outside. And while everyone inside was talking, I was looking off outside out of a huge window that faced a large open field. It grew darker outside until I noticed a funnel shape forming from some dark clouds out in the distance. I screamed that there was a tornado coming but no one believed me. After a few secs everyone finally paid attention and we struggled to get my dad and uncle inside before it came...and we all tried to hide in closets...but the one I chose had a window in it and I didn't realize it until it was too late to try to find another (where do I get this stuff??? A window in a closet???) So, then the tornado comes through, and we all come out of our closets (I swear, I love my fiance, this is not some metaphor like Tom Cruise on South Park) and figure out that everything is ok. We look out the window to analyze the damage and realize another one is coming. We hide again, come out and everything is ok. And then we realize again that another is coming...this goes on five or six times until the house we're in starts falling apart. So dad says we should go somewhere else to seek beter shelter. We drive, screeching tires in our rush, and reach some friend of dad's house. It's nothing more than a broken down shack with used cars in the front yard (my parents don't even know people like this), and we go in expecting more tornadoes. I scope it out to check for closets, and notice there are none...just a big room with a high ceiling and a loft area. Suddenly someone screams and yes, it's another natural disaster...but no it's not another tornado. Instead, a humongous wave 15 feet or so high is quickly approaching. We all try to climb to the loft, but the steps are old and broken...some fall away under the weight of us all. I make it to the top...and there's only a 2 foot by 1 foot or so platform to stand on. Some others make it to the loft area, but some get carried off by the wave. When the wave recedes, another one comes. And then another and another and another and another. Slowly, the weathered boards pull away and I know it's only a matter of time before I will wash away with them. And then I wake up.

So, that was a really interesting start to the day. Things went rather well today. Work went well, and on the way home I stopped at the grocery store to get food for K's pre-bachelorette festivities tomorrow night...oh, my gosh, I'm so happy it's spring! The grapes and strawberries are just wonderful right now.

So, then I came home...and lo and behold my dress was on the front stoop! Hooray! I tried it on, and it's still quite big...so I'm definitely going to have to have it altered. I can't believe how large these wedding dresses are! I think they do it on purpose bec that way they think they get to charge you massive alterations charges. Otherwise, besides at Ann Taylor, I am not a size 0.

Anyway, so here's the story to my wedding dress, now that I've gotten it and I know it's ok. I actually bought my dress on Ebay. Yes, Ebay...land of the online yard sales. Jess found it for me on there; she got the idea bec she sold hers on there. Anyway, so I got it for less than half of what it was in the store. It was kind of cool...I couldn't believe how easy it was to find it...and in the right size. The girl wore it on her wedding day last November and decided to sell it one week after I had tried it on in that store in Atlanta. Well, that's not exactly how the story goes, actually. The first dress Jess found was the same dress...but it was a size 4. The auction had 9 days left on it. With about 3 or so days left, Jess checked again...and voila! There was another one...and it was in a size 2! So, after some deliberations, we decided to just go ahead and do the "Buy it now" thing (thankfully, that hadn't been an option on the size 4 or I probably would have bought that one, and it would have been a tent). The girl was sweet...she included a card that had a pic of her and her husband on it while they danced at the wedding and she wrote "Good Luck" on the back. So, my second experience with Ebay turned out quite well. The dress is beautiful, albeit a bit big, but I'm happy I got it for the price I did. Hooray!

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm still gonna look for that other poofy dress and try to wear them both. We'll just see how that works out. Jess actually found that dress on Ebay, too...it sold for less than 400 (it was 1250 at the store) and the girl that sold it lived in Hixson. Ok, if you're not from this area, you don't understand, so I'll explain. Hixson is on my drive home to Soddy. I thought that was kind of weird. Unfortunately she sold it on the Monday after I went shopping in Atlanta, and we hadn't even looked at Ebay as an option yet. So, here's hoping another one will pop up...somehow I doubt it will be 8 or so miles from my house, though.

Sooo....I got my dress! I got my dress! I got my dress! I got my dress! I got my dress! I got my dress! I got my dress! I got my dress! I got my dress!

:-)

So, things are moving along.

Ben leaves for CO tomorrow, so I probably won't be blogging as much for the next week or so as he is taking my laptop with him. How am I going to live without my laptop for a full week? I've grown so dependent on it...it's my security blanket! How can I live without the ability to shop at only cosmopolitan stores, unavailable in Chattanooga? How can I live without the ability to find out neat facts on the "interesting-net"? (Thanks to my future sister in law for that one!) How will I live without easy access to weather, news, blogs and other daily requirements???

Anyway, I guess I'll run now...Ben is wanting to go to dinner...

No comments: